I’ve spent some time browsing everyone else’s uses page for new tools, so I figured it was time to share my own!
Updated: Feb. 8, 2020
- iPhone 11: This thing is an ergonomic nightmare!
- Mid-2014, 15 inch MacBook Pro: Still going strong, although I’ve worn right through the ⌘ key!
(Previously: Mid-2011, Early-2008, Late-2004 13-inch iBook)
- Dell 27″ 4K Monitor (P2715Q): For doing serious work. But if I’m honest, I’m usually just on the couch with my laptop.
- Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Desktop: I’ll probably replace these with something more reliable in the future.
- Rain Design mStand: I’ve had this one for over a decade and still love it!
- Airpods (second generation)
- WordPress: My go-to CMS
- Vue: My go-to front-end framework
- Build tools:
- Visual Studio Code: Dark theme with Fira Code
- GitHub Desktop: While simple, it works well enough for the time being.
- Safari: For browsing
- Firefox: For development
- Edge: For testing
- Terminal: Using zsh now on macOS Catalina, and I’ve yet to see a reason to change back to bash.
- Sequel Pro: I don’t love it, but it usually works well enough.
- Docker (Compose): Even for simple containers, I generally keep a
docker-composefile in all my project folders as a way to simplify bringing up a development environment.
- Charles Proxy: For API debugging (ok: snooping)
- 1Password: Absolutely indispensable, not only for development but for life! I have a decade’s worth of passwords, licenses, notes and more in here.
- Transmit: All the polish you expect from a well-designed Mac app. And it keeps me from having to install Dropbox!
Just some other of my favourites that I can’t not mention.
- Things: I do try to stay organized
- YNAB: A new experiment in managing family finances
- Firefly III: For long-term finance tracking
- Plex: For organizing my media
- Fujifilm X-T20: 18-55 mm lens
- Peak Design Leash: much more comfortable than Fuji’s strap!
- Peak Design 20L Everyday Backpack
- Adobe Lightroom: Reluctantly, it’s still my go-to editor.
Current: Rasbperry Pi 3b, Rasbian Linux and a few external USB drives
In Progress: (Feb. 2020)
- Motherboard: Super micro X10SL7-F
- CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1220L v3 (low power)
- RAM: 8GB ECC
- OS: Ubuntu
- Ubuntu 18.04 hosted on LunaNode m.2 VPS
- Apache/MariaDB/PHP 7 FPM